Comedy actor Vadivelu has approached directors Shankar and Chimbu Deven and the producers of Imsai Arasan 24am Pulikesi to apologise for insulting them and reach a compromise on the issues plaguing the film, after the producers reportedly said they would take legal action against him for walking out of the project.
A source in the know of things told Silverscreen that talks are currently being mediated by a leading director, and Vadivelu is willing to apologise for his comments. It is not known yet if legal charges will be pressed against him, but it is likely that they will reach a compromise and the film will go on floors soon.
Vadivelu had said in an interview last month that 23am Pulikesi, his first film as a hero, was a success because of his involvement with the script, and he walked out of the sequel because of Chimbu Deven’s incompetence in consulting Shankar, the film’s producer, for changes to the story. He also said Shankar was a director who specialised in graphic-heavy films and his own movies did not require CG works. “I told Chimbu Deven you are the film’s director but if you will only listen to him then why can’t he direct the film? He then spread the word that I was asking for him to be removed, and made it a big issue,” Vadivelu said.
Chimbu Deven said the allegations were false and the script was registered with the Writers’ Union. Shankar’s production house S Pictures did not respond to the comment.
Directors Samuthirakani, Suseenthiran and Venkat Prabhu came to the directors’ support and said that they have the freedom to make these choices and Vadivelu’s comment was disrespectful.
Director Naveen, who was Chimbu Deven’s assistant on 23am Pulikesi, was among the first to respond. He said Vadivelu’s comment smacked of arrogance and there was no interference in the script from Shankar or anyone else on the team.
அண்ணன் வடிவாலு அவர்களின் நேர்காணல் பார்த்தேன். என் இயக்குனர் @chimbu_deven சாரை அவன் இவன் என்ற ஏகவசனங்களில் பேசியிருந்தார். சின்னபையன், சின்ன டைரக்டர், பெருசா வேல தெரியாத டைரக்டர் என்றெல்லாம் பிதற்றியிருந்தார், இவரை ஹீரோவாக வைத்து ஹிட் கொடுத்த ஒரே டைரக்டரை#T1#NesamaniStayInComa
— Naveen.M (@NaveenFilmmaker) June 8, 2019
The film was launched with much fanfare last year, but had to be stalled because of alleged problems caused by Vadivelu, whose demands included that the film should not have a big star cast.
The team shot for 10 days for which a huge set worth lakhs was put up at EVP Studios in Chennai. They faced losses and Shankar promptly approached the Tamil Film Producers’ Council. It was said that Vadivelu was paid a remuneration that he did not return. Many attempts were made to settle the matter, but Vadivelu refused to reach a compromise. Finally, they decided that he will not star in any film made by members of TFPC, and the actor has received fewer offers since then.