New York Magazine’s ‘The Cut’ had earlier called Priyanka Chopra a ‘global scam artist’ in an article about her wedding with Nick Jonas. They have now pulled down the story and issued an apology after facing severe backlash on social media from many, celebrities included.
The website had initially responded by deleting the phrase ‘scam artist’ and toning down on the language before taking down the entire article saying it failed to meet their editorial standards.
An earlier story about Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas did not meet our standards. We've removed it and apologize https://t.co/DkcOatMV2z
— The Cut (@TheCut) December 5, 2018
Mariah Smith, a writer and comedian, wrote the article titled “Is Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas’ Love For Real”. She claimed that the actress had married Jonas to further her career, and said Jonas simply wanted a “fling with Hollywood’s latest It Woman” but instead found himself “staring straight at a life sentence with a global scam artist.”
Smith argued that Chopra’s insistence on Jonas texting her instead of messaging her on Twitter, because her team handled Twitter, reeked of ‘Hollywoodness.’ She claimed that Chopra’s audacity came to display when she told another celebrity that her team read her direct messages.
Joe Jonas, Nick’s brother and former bandmate came to the defence of the newlyweds by calling the article ‘disgusting’ and saying that The Cut should be ashamed to have allowed someone to write such evil words.
This is disgusting. @TheCut should be ashamed to have someone write such evil words. What Nick & Pri have is Beautiful Love.Thank u, Next. https://t.co/G3hvXmhm9O
— J O E J O N A S (@joejonas) December 5, 2018
Sophie Turner, Joe’s fiancée and Game of Thrones star, called the article ‘wildly inappropriate and totally disgusting.’
This is wildly inappropriate and totally disgusting. Very disappointed that The Cut would give anyone a platform to spew such bullshit. https://t.co/iYKaifKJP6
— Sophie Turner (@SophieT) December 5, 2018
Among Indian celebrities, Sonam Kapoor called the website out by terming the article ‘sexist, racist and disgusting’ and warning that the website had a lot to answer for. “Also it’s written by a woman which is so sad. It reeks of envy and bitterness,” the actress added.
For a publication that “shows women’s what they are made of” @TheCut has a lot to answer for . The article on @priyankachopra was sexist , racist and disgusting. Also it’s written by a woman which is so sad. It reeks of envy and bitterness. @mRiah shame on you! https://t.co/bmbbX7LrAT
— Sonam K Ahuja (@sonamakapoor) December 5, 2018
Arjun Kapoor, who starred alongside Chopra in the 2014 film Gunday put out a tweet in the actress’ defence saying he knew her personally and he was certain that Jonas wasn’t kidnapped and forced into the marriage.
I know @priyankachopra personally & I’m fairly certain @nickjonas hasn’t been kidnapped & forced into a union of love… @NYMag u have an unhappy opinionated racist frustrated journalist who’s gone on n on about 2 people who by choice have gotten married. Tacky n uncouth writing. https://t.co/ngLvyqw6fD
— Arjun Kapoor (@arjunk26) December 5, 2018