The Madras High Court has banned actor-director Mysskin from directing and releasing crime thrillers. Mysskin allegedly broke an agreement with financier Ragunandan after promising to cast his son as the lead for Psycho. Shoot for the film began with Udhaiyanidhi Stalin in the lead, and a different cast.
According to a report, Ragunandan’s son Maitreya said that the director even discussed the film’s script with him. As per the agreement signed in 2015, they made a payment of Rs 1 crore to the director. The agreement stated that the film will release in April 2016.
Director Mysskin hasn’t responded to these allegations or the court’s order.
On October 14, Raghunandan got an interim injunction from Madras High Court restraining Mysskin from directing or releasing any film with a story line similar to what was narrated to him. The case came up for hearing at the Madras HC on Monday, and the court banned Mysskin from directing or releasing crime thrillers.
Actor Maitreya said in a Times Of India report, “After I’d put out a video on social media, we tried reaching out to Mysskin, but to no avail. We spoke to his advocate also to find an amicable solution, but they did not set up the meeting. We were left with no option but to seek the intervention of the court in this issue.”
“The court has now given an interim stay against Mysskin directing any movie with a similar story line involving a blind hero. Till now there has been no response from their side,” he said.
As reported earlier, Mysskin said that the plot of the movie was like his previous works. “By now, everybody knows what to expect from my films. This new movie is also in line with that. But, it is also different. I have a new set of actors working for me now, and I’m looking forward to experimenting with Udhayanidh’s onscreen persona. So far, he has worked in light-hearted comedies. My film will definitely be a departure from that.”
The director, however, refused to comment on the controversy over his choice of lead actor. Initial reports had Mysskin working with Shanthnu for a film. The project with Udhayanidhi was announced shortly thereafter. While Shanthnu was rumoured to have walked out of the project, the actor later went on record and said that the opportunity to star in the film ‘went out of his hands’.