Hrithik Roshan’s Super 30 which ran into trouble following allegations of sexual assault against its director Vikas Bahl, is likely to be bailed out by Karan Johar. Originally scheduled to release on January 26, the movie will now release only after March says a DC report.
A source close to the movie says, “After Kangana put her film Manikarnika: The Queen Of Jhansi opposite Super 30 on Republic Day, it was expected that Hrithik would not back off from that date, but then things haven’t reached the completion stage. It is now being speculated that a top filmmaker (Karan Johar), who also collaborated on Simmba with Reliance and is close to Hrithik Roshan, would mediate and try and set things right so that the film can reach the screens eventually.”
Super 30, has been named after the eponymous organization founded by Anand Kumar in 2002. The programme picks 30 students from backward classes and provides them training for the Joint Entrance Exam, the entrance test to IITs. Kumar provides food, accommodation and books for the duration of the course.
In 2008, the entire batch managed to clear the exams. This feat was repeated in 2009 and 2017. Time magazine feted the programme in its ‘Best of Asia 2010’ list.
Vikas Bahl, director and co-producer of the movie, got embroiled in a sexual assault controversy when one of the workers at Phantom Films, called him out during the #MeToo movement. Bahl has previously directed Shaandaar and Queen.
Anand Kumar was recently caught in a controversy when former students accused him of fraud. They alleged that contrary to Kumar’s claims, only 3 students and not 26 had cleared the IIT-JEE 2018. These students also claimed that Kumar had begun teaching elsewhere too and that he asked them to enrol there instead of at Super 30. They also said that he made close to Rs. 1 crore from teaching at this place.
Image Courtesy: DNA India