India News

Kamal Haasan, Rajinikanth Win NTR National Award; Baahubali Wins 13 Nandi Awards & More

RedditGoogle+Whatsapp
rajinikanth-kamal-haasan-sivakarthikeyan-suriya-and-others-at-the-foundation-ceremony-of-the-nadigar-sangam-photos-0074.jpg

Kamal Haasan, Rajinikanth win Andhra Pradesh government’s NTR National Awards

Actors Kamal Haasan and Rajinikanth were awarded the NTR National Film Award for the years 2014 and 2016 respectively on Tuesday by the Andhra Pradesh government. The two actors took to social media to congratulate each other.

On the same note, SS Rajamouli’s magnum opus Baahubali, released in 2015, won 13 Nandi awards.

The film, starring Prabhas, Rana Daggubati, Ramya Krishnan, Sathyaraj, Tamannaah, Anushka Shetty, and Nasser won the best film, director, supporting actress, villain, cinematographer, playback singer (male), music, choreographer, fight master, dubbing, and special effects awards.

Kamal Haasan lauds Kerala government

Kamal Haasan Announces The Launch Of Maiyam - Whistleblower App On His Birthday

Impressed with the Kerala government doing away with the mention of caste or religion in school certificates, Kamal Haasan, who recently announced that he would be venturing towards politics soon, lauded the government calling their move ‘historic’.

In the circular that has been doing the rounds in schools, the Kerala government mentions that one needn’t state their caste or community in the admission form for schools. Instead, the religion alone can be specified. And if not following a religion, the candidates can choose to write ‘religion not stated’ on the form.

Drawing from his own experience, Haasan said that he refused to fill out the cast and religion forms in one of his daughter’s birth certificate.

Vidya Balan shuts down reporter who asked if she plans on losing weight

Vidya Balan At An Awards Function

Actress Vidya Balan, at a recent media interaction, was asked by a reporter if she would lose weight for a glamorous role. Visibly miffed by the question, she answers his inappropriate question by telling him to change his mindset.

“The movies you’ve been in lately are mostly women-centric. So now are we going to watch you in more such films or do you plan on losing some weight?” he asks. When she asks the connection between women-centric and weight loss, he says that he meant ‘glamorous roles’.

“I’m very happy with the kind of roles I am doing. It would be nice if you could change your mindset first,” she responds.

The actress will be seen in Tumhari Sulu, scheduled to release on November 17. She plays a fun radio jockey in the film directed by Suresh Triveni.

Watch the video here:

S Durga’s director files case after I&B Ministry drops film from IFFI

S Durga (previously titled Sexy Durga) was unceremoniously dropped from the International Film Festival of India (IFFI), a decision taken by the Information and Broadcast Ministry headed by Smriti Irani. Director Sanal Kumar Sasidharan is now planning to file a petition against the Directorate of Film Festivals (DFF).

The film was initially selected to be screened at the festival. Speaking to The Indian Express, Sanal said, “I am approaching court. I am filing a case today (November 14). It will be against the DFF, ministry and the festival director. There will be a bunch of respondents.”

The festival, which is set to take place next week, also dropped Marathi filmmaker Ravi Jadhav’s Nude from the festival.

On Tuesday morning, it was reported that IFFI jury chief Sujoy Ghosh has resigned from his position in protest against the dropping of the two films.

In October, the ministry objected to Sanal’s film and its original title, Sexy Durga, denying it censor exemption and approval for screening at the Jio MAMI 19th Mumbai Film Festival With Star 2017. The film was eventually screened after it was given U/A certificate by the Central Board for Film Certification (CBFC), which suggested the change of the title (which was amended to S Durga) and deletion of some words in some scenes.

Read: Silverscreen’s Review of Sexy Durga

Rose McGowan surrenders on drug charges

Image credits: Vulture

Actress Rose McGowan, who had an arrest warrant issued against her last month in relation to drug charge, has reportedly surrendered to the Virginian authorities. She was released on a $5,000 unsecured bond, authorities told The Hollywood Reporter.

McGowan has been accused of possession of a controlled substance. The felony charges are based on the police’s investigation of personal belongings left behind on a United flight arriving at Washington Dulles International Airport on January 20 this year.

McGowan is one of the many women rallying against Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein, who has been accused of sexual harassment by many women (including top actresses) in the industry. She also claims that Weinstein even raped her back in 1997 and was offered $1 million to not speak about him.

Soon after it was reported that she surrendered herself, the actress spoke to Ronan Farrow of The New YorkerStating that she would plead guilty, the actress admits to feeling this whole drug charges was planted. Before being questioned by the police authorities with respect to the drugs found on her wallet, the actress had months earlier tweeted about being raped by a “studio head,” and had included details that seemed to point to the Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein.

© Copyright 2013 - 2016, Silverscreen Media Solutions Inc.