Netflix has announced that they would be cancelling their hit show House of Cards starring Kevin Spacey after news of the actor’s sexual misconduct surfaced. Netflix Inc also admitted that they were “deeply troubled” when they found out that Spacey molested actor Anthony Rapp in 1986, when the former was 26 and the latter was 14 years old.
“Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey. In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time,” the companies said in a joint statement.
Deadline also reported that Netflix’s film with Spacey titled Gore, about the acerbic author Gore Vidal, may also get cancelled now.
Star Trek: Discovery actor Anthony Rapp recently went on record to recount the time actor Kevin Spacey made sexual advances towards him. The incident took place at an after party at Spacey’s apartment, when the latter put Rapp on bed and climbed on top of him. Rapp, now 46, told Buzzfeed News in an exclusive interview about how he felt anger and frustration towards Spacey especially since he flourished in his career with Tony and Oscar awards to his credit.
Spacey responded to Rapp’s allegation with an apology. While he said that he didn’t remember the incident, he claimed to use this revelation as an encouragement to change things about himself. He also openly declared himself as a gay man and vowed to examine his behaviour.
— Kevin Spacey (@KevinSpacey) October 30, 2017
His apology, however, did not go down too well as many accused him of using the opportunity to divert the attention from the molestation to his coming-out.
Featured Image: House of Cards Wiki